Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ganpati Bappa Morya!

There’s something about the Ganesh festival that excites me each year. Earlier it is used to be the prospect of a night-out doing the rounds of various mandals across the city, later the delight of checking out the decorations, subsequently the belief in the Lord, and today simply nostalgia of having missed out on the festivity.
Here in Bangalore, I see a number of Ganesh idols on display along the streets and families flocking to pick the one of their choice to install in their homes. But the ‘Ganpati Bappa Morya’ chorus while taking him home is missing. Nor did I notice any huge pandals with super-size idols, blaring stereos or the generous spread of gulal anywhere.

Back home in Pune, I am sure it would be a completely different scene. Roads must be blocked (not really a surprise anymore), they must be lined with lights, adorned by Shah Rukh Khan posters selling Airtel, pavements full of make-shift counters vending vada paav…and of course huge pandals with serpentine queues of devotees waiting patiently for their turn to offer their prayers to the Lord. There was a time when I wondered how disturbing it must be for the local residents. These days it is pretty well regulated though and most mandals shut abide by the deadline. Some years back it was utter chaos, but I enjoyed it even then.

More so, my marketing stint over the past few years makes me wonder at Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak’s vision to create an event out of a seemingly mundane ritual. Conceived as an event to bring people together to spread the message of independence, pulling on the heart strings of devotion, it looks like an ideal case study on disseminating your message to the masses in a very entertaining, relevant environment. Decades later, it continues to inspire marketers with the perfect medium to target their campaigns and for some ad-hoc, small time entrepreneurs to try their hand at some rapid, low investment, high return business.

Professional inspiration apart, the festival has become quite a ritual for me. Every year, I visited at least the 5 maanache Ganpati mandals of Pune and any others with interesting decorations / acts along the route. Not to mention the daily trip to my grand parents’ place since they maintained the idol during the 10 day festival. Aah…and those mouth watering modaks that my aunt made! It’s surprising how much we miss things after we lose them. I doubt if I would find them in Bangalore anytime soon.

Hey, but I am not the only one at loss. I know my folks would miss me as well. I accompanied my grandfather as we handed our idol for immersion on the final day. Man that was one procession that one has to experience at least once in a lifetime. Imagine thousands (probably tens of them) of Puneites and probably an equal number of tourists from around filling up the streets, up on terraces of adjoining buildings, settled with shawls and even mattresses on the stairs leading to shops…all jostling with each other to catch a glimpse of the group dancing ahead of the chariot carrying the Lord. And it’s a pretty unique dance form as well. Half of the people there have never danced in their life and this is their only opportunity to show off their skills, which gives it it’s very own identity! And then there’s the sudden uproar whenever a popular group / mandal approaches.

Sure I miss all this excitement this year. In the same vein, I know Bangalore would have its own version of the festival and I will definitely try to catch up on it. If not this one, I am looking forward to some similar fervor during the Dasherra festival in Mysore. I am told that’s one not to miss. Hopefully, I should be able to post a travelog on that one soon.

Until then I have to make do by offering my prayers online. Even Gods have got pretty hi-tech these days; I recall seeing a credit card swiping machine at Dagdusheth Ganpati few years back for devotees wanting to donate in plastic money. I am sure they have now progressed to social media and I can find my favorite God’s FaceBook profile now. Hope to thank Him there; He’s been with me, always.

Ganpati Bappa Morya! Mangal Murti Morya!

1 comment: